28 March 2011

The Muse Project - Volume 4

Remember back here, when I wondered how I had stumbled onto my last muse, Caitlin? Well, Emily sweetly reminded me that I discovered Caitlin's blog through her blog Ruby Slipper Journeys!!!! Well, duh. That makes total and perfect sense because Emily is one stylish lady herself. Of course she would introduce to me to other stylish ladies! It got me thinking, why haven't I featured Emily in my Muse Project? The answer was, "Gosh, I just don't know." Today I change that.




Emily is a writer, a world traveler and fashion forward blogger. Not only do I visit Ruby Slipper Journeys to beg, borrow and steal from her eclectic and feminine stylings, I'm also curious where her pictures will be taken. You never know where she'll be next!! I have to admit, I've been known to live vicariously through her travels.




Emily is not one to shy away from color and that absolutely inspires me. I love her collection of beautiful brights. She styles vintage pieces with ease and always looks fresh and fun. Emily has a way of putting an outfit together that's feminine and flirty but completely practical and appropriate for real life.
Thankfully she agreed to answer a few questions. Here's what she had to say:

Q: What motivated the creation of Ruby Slipper Journeys?
A: I had just moved to Mexico for six months, I was a bit bored, I didn't think it was worth working for very little money for such a short amount of time so I was writing a book instead... and obviously I needed a way to procrastinate! I'd only discovered personal style blogs a few months before, and it seemed like fun, a creative outlet, a way to maximize my small suitcase and get a bit more techy all in one.




Q: With so many personal style bloggers around the Internet there's never a shortage of inspiration to be found. Which style blogs do you find most inspirational? Any "hidden" gems you'd be willing to share?
A: I read a ridiculous number of blogs, and the "most inspirational" ones are always changing depending on the season and how I feel about fashion. At the moment I'm loving two opposite extremes, Liebemarlene for being 100% true to a very simple but pretty style all the time, and The Dainty Squid for a rioutous rainbow of colour and awesomely cute animal pictures. And I'm also loving Idée Géniale at the moment which I guess fits somewhere in the middle.

Some "hidden gems" I'm recently loving are Lion Heart Vintage and Tipa Tipa.




Q: How have your globetrotting influenced your sense of style?
A: By limiting how much stuff I can accumulate--or ensuring I have to pay loads of money and throw my back out trying to get it home. Bah! (Can you tell I'm grumpily contemplating a move)? On a more positive note, I would say that living in other countries expands your ideas of "normal" clothes for any given activity. For instance, in Canada, cyclists are usually all kitted out in sports clothes, whereas in Europe it's quite normal to ride in a pretty dress. I've probably become dressier on the whole as a result of living abroad.  You realize that other cultures really haven't embraced the culture of sweatpants the way North Americans have!




Q: What's the best piece of advice you've ever received?
A: Oh dear. My best friend's mom, who's from Peru, once told me "Never marry a Latin." I never did, but after a few "entanglements" I can see why that might have been good advice!




Q: Congratulations! You've just won a totally fictional, all expense paid, month long trip to the destination of your choice. The only catch is that you'll have to bring everything you plan to wear in a backpack. Where would you go and what are some of things you would pack?
A: I would go to Berlin, which is a city I've always longed to live in and never even visited. Luckily, I think they're pretty cool and laid back there, so I'd take a couple of dresses (black and white), some yellow sandals, a few slouchy cardigans and some black lace up ankle boots. And a straw hat. And looking back at that list, I've realized that I don't own any of those things, and that's why style blogging is pretty bad for people on a budget! However, this "totally fictional" holiday sounds like fun, so I may need to plan for one!


Thank you so much, Emily, for willingly participating in the Muse Project!
More importantly though, thank you for your fearless style and fabulous blog.



Have you checked out Ruby Slipper Journeys yet?

10 comments:

lifeinlimits said...

Cute post. =D Isn't the blogging world *great* for meeting new friends?! I just love it!

lifeinlimits said...

Cute post. =D Isn't the blogging world *great* for meeting new friends?! I just love it!

Anna Jane said...

i love discovering new blogs, so thanks for the introduction. can't wait to check her out! :)

Christianna said...

She sounds awesome, on my way to check her out!

Linda said...

I've never read her before - she's super cute. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Aw, I loved these answers - Berlin is definitely on my list too! I'll be checking out Emily's blog next, thanks for the recommendation. :)

purejoy said...

wow… thanks for the wonderful visit with emily! i'm sad to say that style/style blogs give me the hives. i'm 48 and about 30 pounds more than i'd like to be and so busy/unmotivated about moving that style seems out of my reach.

there.

i said it.

but it was a delightful post!

Anonymous said...

um.. I married a Latin.
No problema so far ;)

Amber Blue Bird said...

I adore her blog!

plantmyappletree said...

"You realize that other cultures really haven't embraced the culture of sweatpants the way North Americans have!" I cracked up on that one! Actually it was one of the first things I noted when I set a step in the US: sweatpants everywhere. In planes! Wouldn't be caught dead in sweatpants except when I am running (about twice a year ;-)).