In the past few weeks I’ve been the grateful recipient of a couple of blog awards that I’ve yet to “receive” properly. Well, lest that procrastination appear to be indifference or ingratitude I'm celebrating the awards/tags today!
Three very lovely ladies recognized me...
I'm fortunate enough to know the lady behind Of Such is the Kingdom in real life! She’s my friend! She’s an inspiration to me in many ways, and as her blog illustrates, she’s a creative and wise parent who enjoys life and isn’t afraid to think outside of the box.
Alyssa over at A Muse a Day is a fellow blogger that I'm just getting to know. Her blog is full of inspiring images, yummy food, fearless fashion and interior design. As a fellow mid-westerner, I was instantly drawn to Alyssa’s no nonsense sensibility and I look forward to growing our bloggy friendship.
I’ve jokingly referred to Lori at No More Sweatpants as my blog twin. We both started our personal style blogs as an incentive to get out of our lazy clothes AND we both teach fitness classes. Sure she lives in Humboldt County and has adorable children and a kick butt Etsy shop … so we don’t share EVERYTHING in common. But, you get the point, right?
So, these three lovely ladies tagged me over the past few weeks and suggested that I share a few things about myself and a few things that make me happy. Rather than do three separate posts, I figured I’d combine them all and give you one list that fulfills each lady’s request.
Here’s my list of 10 things either about me or that make me happy
(Ok, Ok, so that title is not exactly catchy… it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue as this writer might have hoped. But it effectively communicates the truth about what you are about to read. Let’s all just agree that I'm sacrificing form for substance, shall we?)
1. I live in the ‘hood and I love it. Even though Domino’s refuses to deliver pizza here after dark and my dog sitter’s truck got stolen from right in front of our house, I still love living in my neighborhood. I love that not everyone looks and sounds like me. I love that there are people who earn three times the income we do living next to others who earn considerably less than we do. I love that sometimes when I tell people where I live they look at me with surprise in their eyes and say, “Really?" I love that the houses have character and there aren’t two that are identical for as far as the eye can see. I love that even though our neighborhood might be considered “transitional,” I’ve never felt unsafe, unwelcome or out of place. I love that I have friends within walking distance and (literally) 15 kids that play in our yard on a daily basis. I love our neighborhood.
2. I secretly hope to be a superstar someday. Even though I know that it’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever be “worldwide, internationally known,” I still sometimes dream it’s possible. I think it’s mainly because I want all the free stuff and super good seats at the Oscars.
3. I’ve never seen It’s a Wonderful Life. It’s true. I love movies. I even love old movies. But I’ve never watched It’s a Wonderful Life. I intend to change that this year, but as of today I’ve never watched the classic film.
4. I’ve only ever kept one job in my life longer than 3 years. I’ve worked nearly non-stop since I was 16 (that’s almost 20 years if you want to be a jerk and do the math) and I’ve only been fired once, but I’ve just stayed at ONE job for more than 3 years. (and I changed positions with that employer a couple of times, so I'm not certain it really counts) My jobs have included but are not limited to: Video Store clerk (yes, we rented VHS VIDEOs), Camp Counselor, Dance Teacher, Nanny, Flight Attendant (we don’t like to be called stewardess), Mortgage Loan Processor, Book seller & Wedding Coordinator. I won’t bore you with the rest of the list.
5. Flannel Sheets make me happy. I never knew I liked flannel sheets until I bought a set for my hubby (who LOVES them) for Christmas last year. I figured part of the gift would be that I would sleep on them without complaining. Turns out, I don’t complain because I love them. Who knew?
6. I'm a city mouse not a country mouse. For this reason, living where we do is sometimes incredibly difficult and challenging. God is definitely using our time here to grow and develop my character.
7. Food makes me happy. With the exception of watermelon, sour cream and nuts INSIDE my food, there are very few things that I don’t enjoy chowing down on. I love to eat.
8. This is the first year that I’ve stuck with a Bible reading plan this long. In the Christian community there are all kinds of daily bible reading plans out there. Each new year, many of us make commitments to read through the Bible or a part of the Bible using one of the various plans. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone else, but typically I don’t stick to my commitment. This year, however, we’re nearly into December and I’ve kept up with my reading plan. I'm grateful to report that reading and meditating on scripture on a regular basis has made a huge impact on my life. I'm incredibly blessed by what that living and active word has done in my heart, in my relationships and for my faith.
9. I can remember (and skillfully rap) every word to Ice, Ice Baby but I have to make a list when I go to the grocery store or else I forget what I’ve planned for dinner. Can you say, "misuse of brain space?"
10. I've spent entirely too much time trying to figure out what to put as number 10 on this list. So, nine is all you get. Sorry. My blog. My rules.
Okay, so now, each lady asked me to tag more people and pass these awards along. When I combine all their requirements, I would have to tag 22 of you. I fear that there are not still 22 of you reading this... Therefore, I tag you! Consider it your reward for reading to the end of this SUPER long post. Go ahead, I dare you to tell us seven things about yourself or
10 9 things that make you happy!